Monday, September 8, 2008

Too many cucumbers = pickles

I am absolutely NOT a pickle fan...

but my family is (go-figure). Well, basically for me it is the dill that drives me away. APPARENTLY, I ate a few too many dill pickles as a 4 year old and well, now I can't even stand the smell of dill. *blush*

Anyhow, I decided to make pickles out of all these cukes we were blessed with...but not dill. I typically don't even attempt to eat pickles without dill because, well, the thought never occurred to me before yesterday *duh*. So, i sliced up 2 cups of Red Onions (cuz i like them) and chopped 2 cloves garlic (cuz i like them too) and then washed and sliced (the long way) one ice cream pail of cukes. I dumped the onions, garlic and cukes all into a large glass bowl. I then took out a stainless medium sized pot and began to concoct my "vinegar" -- this is basically the same recipe as refridgerator pickles.

I used:
6 cups vinegar
3 cups sugar
3 T sea salt

I stirred it until the sugar was mostly dissolved and brought it to a boil for about 10 minutes and promptly poured it over my fresh veggies, making sure that the "juice" came over the top of the veggies. I let them all cool on the counter then dumped the whole mess into the ice cream bucket, covered and popped into the fridge. I did steal some onions and thought they were awesome.

Today, before breakfast *blush* I ate one... guess what-- I liked it :)
Hope you do too!

No comments: